On January 20, 2011 our lives were forever changed.

Our sixteen year old son, Taylor, was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma.

This is his story.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

PORT REMOVAL

One step closer to life without cancer. Taylor had his port removed this afternoon.  Things were crazy at Shane's office and there was no way he could come, so Taylor and I went at it alone.  I, myself was somewhat nervous.  Taylor on the other hand was raring and ready to go.  He wanted the port OUT!  It was somewhat symbolic of getting rid of the last remnant of cancer treatments.

The wait before the surgery felt like forever.

When we finally met with the surgeon, he informed us the surgery would only take about an hour.  They took Taylor back, I went to get a drink from the hospital cafeteria and when I returned to the waiting room, the surgeon had already been there to tell me how it went.
Shortly thereafter I was let into the recovery area to be with him. 
He was in some pain and quite nauseous.  However, it wasn't long before he was feeling well enough to come home.  As we left the hospital,  he said, "I am done with Cancer.  I am going to live my life!"

We drove home and I got him situated and then went out to the backyard.  A few minutes later Taylor ventured out to sit on the patio.  A couple of his friends were biking down the path behind our house and shouted out to him.  They came around to the house and ended up hanging out for several more hours.

What a kid!  Surgery a few hours ago and now hanging out with his friends.  It's a wonderful thing to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment