On January 20, 2011 our lives were forever changed.

Our sixteen year old son, Taylor, was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma.

This is his story.

Monday, February 21, 2011

A CUT ABOVE THE REST

Taylor and his brother snugging on the couch.
All I can say is - we have amazing friends and family! Even with such little notice, almost all of both mine and Shane's families came this evening to support Taylor. It was an amazing night!

I had asked a friend who has a salon in her home if we could come over and if she would shave Taylor and a few of his cousins heads. (I didn't think I would emotionally be able to do it. I was right.) She graciously said yes. Little did she know, that "WE" would be 37 people and she would be shaving 13 heads and giving one haircut. Seriously! I had no idea we would be that many when I asked her. I was thinking maybe four or five. Even when we lined up at the house before we left, there were seven planning on doing it.

(The group who planned to shave their heads with Taylor. Grandpa, Tanner, Jonah, Kolby, Uncle T.J., Taylor and Devan.)I had to make collages in order to show all the pictures we took. (Thanks for the photography help Steph!)

They are in the order in which they had their heads shaved. T.J. was first. Leave it to him to be the first to sacrifice. He is an amazing brother-in-law and Uncle and we love him dearly!
Taylor was next. He smiled and tried to make the best of it.It was a somber moment when Sherian started shaving. Cancer showed on the outside tonight.
I am so glad Sherian said she would do it. I just couldn't of. It was hard enough to watch. She made the best of it and made everyone laugh by shaving a different design on each person, before shaving it all off.
Taylor got the old man cut first.Even little miss had to look away to keep from crying.
What a strong boy!
The proud mama and the boy with the smile on his face and the tears behind his eyes.A picture is worth a thousand words.

Kolby was up next. He seemed to be the most excited one to have his head shaved.
Tanner and Jonah made a pact that if one of them would do it, the other one would.
Jonah has gone back and forth whether or not he would actually do it. I guess since Tanner did it, there was no turning back.
Shane's nephew Devan. He and Taylor aren't to far apart in age and love hanging out together.
I was over shampooing the hair off everyone and next thing I knew Shane was in the chair. Gee, I hope it grows back! Don't you think he looks like Mr. T with his mohawk? I pity da fool!
Next up and a big surprise - Colton. Uncle T.J. and Uncle Auby both wanted to help out with this shave!
Ari wasn't to happy about her dad shaving his head. Then once it was done, she said, "You look like you always do Dad." Kev wasn't feeling too good, so he wore a mask for the whole evening.
Boden gave in at the last minute and went for it. Poor guy, his Dad was teasing him all night about his weird shaped head. I think he looks great!
And here's where the tears started flowing again. I was over at the shampoo bowl and Kathy sat down in the chair. Sherian looked over at me several times and wasn't sure what to do. She asked me if she should really do it. My answer was, "She's the mother-in-law - Do what ever she tells you!" What an amazing grandma!
Of course, Grandpa Craig was not to be left out. More tears!
And just when we thought we were done, little miss says, "I just want a cut and a little color." With cute attitude of course! She and Jodi had been talking about doing Locks of Love today, but this afternoon Ari said she didn't want to. Then this evening she changed her mind. She had about 12 inches cut off. She spent the evening running back and forth through the house, flipping her hair around.
Here's what you get when you shave 13 heads and give one hair cut. Quite a pile of hair on the floor!
Thank you Thank you Sherian. For letting us invade. For going above and beyond. For sacrificing your evening with your family. For being such a good friend. You are so amazing and I am eternally grateful!
The final count, minus Gavin who had gone home.My bald boys!
Thank you to Granny, Grandpa Craig, Uncle Jason, Aunt Jan, Dev, Miranda, Seth, Shad, Hannah, Uncle T. J., Aunt Marisa, Boden, Bella, Emma, Brittany, Morrice, Morrisa, Colton, Shannon, Grandpa Joe, Auntie Julie, Kolby, Tanner, Uncle Auby, Aunt Jodi, Ari, Gavin, Dan, Stephanie, McKenna & Courtney for being there for us tonight. Your love made tonight so much easier. We love you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment